Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Milot HaYom




Over the course of my academic career, I have often had classes overlap each other in content and thus provide extra layers of meaning to my learning (like a parfait, you might say. I might, at least).

Such is the case this year, as well. But here, the layers (like an onion) are that much more vivid because the new Hebrew words themselves repeat in the various classes, so I am that much more aware of the overlap.

So here are a couple of the new words from the past week.

אילתור (iltur): Improvisation. Several of us got quite excited to discover this word. It derives from the Aramaic word for immediately (אלתר). Cute, right?

No? Tough crowd.

Knowledge of the word also allows Anne to describe one of her favorite activities.

הזולת (hazulat): the other. This word has appeared in the context of identifying "the other" in Israeli society as well as in the philosophy of Buber.

הפרטה (hafratah): privatization. Israel's industries across the board are going through a process of privatization. Can't speak authoritatively on the subject, but it certainly is affecting people.

תרגום שבעים (tirgum shivim; lit. translation of the seventy): Septuagent.
Took me a bit of time to crack this nut in class. But I thought this was fun.

זיקה (zikah): attachment, bond. Both my Bible class on "God/s in the Bible" and Buber's I/thou philosophy were all about this word — the zikah between God and humanity.

פולמוס (pulmus): polemic. Let's be serious, people. What's an academic class on religion without reference to polemics?

No comments:

Post a Comment